View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #784
Dagenspear
Banned User

Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post

Middle Eastern ethnicity. Okay? That make it any clearer for you? Doubt it.

You want to nitpick semantics, fine: *technically,* Comic-Book Mandarin wasn't Chinese, he was half-British, half-Chinese of Mongolian descent; but the iconography was definitely a racist stereotype of East Asians and Red Chinese in particular. It reflected a common bigotry of the time. Similarly, Movie "Mandarin" was of indeterminate ethnicity, but the *ruse* was that he was living in the Middle East (Afghanistan or Pakistan), surrounded by Middle Eastern terrorists, embracing Middle Eastern iconography, affecting a vaguely Middle Eastern accent, and was portrayed by an actor of Middle Eastern/South Asian ancestry (Kingsley's father was an Indian Muslim expatriate from Kenya). The Middle Eastern/Muslim iconography was there, blindingly obvious, and meant to invoke America's typical kneejerk reaction to "Islamofascism" (Fox News' favorite term).
It's really quite sad then that they failed miserably in that. It didn't "invoke" that in me at all. I was loving it all. Loving Kingsley's Mandarin and liking him at the same time. Ya see, that's important, to genuinely like and care about the villain and even be interested in the reasonings in his actions and character. Too bad Killian didn't really have that.
Quote:
What else? You want to engage in semantics about ethnicity all day?
Why not? You seem content to insist on it's importance in this.
Quote:
I was writing theses about it when you were still in diapers, so feel free to continue to play coy and test me.
Based on your attitude, I somehow doubt that. But if so, good for you. However, that means nothing to me. Is it supposed to sound intimidating?
Quote:
Or do you want me to sincerely believe that you're just that stupid? I don't think you are; do you?
Think what you want. Your opinion of me isn't important, nor does it change anything.

Last edited by Dagenspear; 06-04-2013 at 04:59 PM.