Thread: New Mutants
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #84
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Default Re: New Mutants

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
MCU is not similar to X-Men. Just because X-Men's universe is as big as MCU, it doesn't mean they carry as many films as MCU.

You haven't been reading some of the posts in this thread, so I will say it again. At least the Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, Inhumans can be seen in a different category even if they appear in The Avengers, they wouldn't fall under the category of Iron Man films, the category of Captain America films, the category of Thor films. But Deadpool, Wolverine, First Class, New Mutants, X-Factor, X-Force all falls under the X-Men category and thats why it would have an effect to the future X-Men movie releases if they don't perform well at the box-office. And knowing FOX, they would certainly let the viewers know that they are spin-off movies from the original X-Men series. With MCU, even Guardians of the Galaxy and their movies bombed at the box-office, it wouldn't have an effect on future Iron Man/Avengers movies.
The only one placing them in a different category is you. That thinking is limited. There is really no reason that a Guardians of the Galaxy movie should do well. None one knows who they are. The don't have a large exiting fanbase. They haven't had a cartoon etc. But you know what? Marvel doesn't care. They are doing everything to build anticipation for the film, so people want to see it. That's good marketing. They did it successfully with all their films so far to the point that Iron Man is a household name as or more popular Wolverine at this point or at least in the same category.

When people talk about the similarities between MCU and X-men it's the universes and their ability to sustain a variety of properties successfully. You keep limiting your think based on "oh it's just a spin-off of X-men it won't be successful". Instead think of them as properties that simply exist in the same universe. Granted what we've had so far has been spin-offs. But future films wouldn't need to be. Just attach them to the broader X-men universe. A universe in which the previous films took place. You don't have to do another prequel or anything, but you could move forward the way the MCU has. Just because the Avengers exist doesn't mean they had to show up in Iron Man 3 or Winter Soldier or the next Thor. But they do all occupy the same universe. Now I'm not as versed in X-men lore as some but I would think there a lot of interesting properties tied to X-men that are ripe for a film. And just like with Guardians they may not be well known by the GA but with a solid director, good casting etc you could the kind of buzz Guardians is now generating. For example the character Abigail Brand is or did date Beast in the comic. She runs an organization called SWORD, pretty much Shield in space and defends earth from aliens ect. Now I don't know if fox has the rights or not but I think that could be a way for Fox to get into the cosmic elements of the franchise. You have the Shi'nar empire, Vulcan, the other Summers brother etc.

I get that you have a very specific viewpoint on this scenario, but you have to acknowledge there is more than one way for them to approach it.

Anyway I do owe you an apology. I went back this weekend and watched the first two X-men movies and they were fantastic!!! I forgot just how good they were. I allowed my dislike for the third to cloud my judgement on the first two. Bryan Singer gets a lot of undeserved hate. I'm now pretty exited about DOFP.

Get a personalized comic book:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/82753148...c-book-4-pages

Last edited by Daybreak_st; 06-10-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Daybreak_st is offline   Reply With Quote