View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 12:22 AM   #115
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Very well said. That is the way things should remain even in the reboot.
Thanks. I hope that's the way it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
The adult tone is what I love the most about these films. It amazes me when I hear people say that TDK is not a good comic book movie because "it's too adult" or "it's not fun enough" or anything among those lines. I can completely understand not liking TDK due to those reasons but that is purely a taste issue. To state these issues as being objective and legitimate flaws about the film is ludicrous IMO. What that shows to me is that there are tons of people out there who think that superhero stories are all about fun lighthearted silly men in tights fighting bad guys that are also in tights and that you cannot tell any serious or mature stories, despite the fact that comics are just a medium just like movies and everything else. These people are ridiculously simplifying the comic book medium and I think that they are partly responsible for the kiddish image that CBM's have in the eyes of the GA. If the fans themselves are going to close off comics to a genre and not acknowledge them as a medium, then why should the GA do so? The apparent fans do not.
Obviously, what I'm about to say can't apply to everyone with that complaint, because some people just have different tastes. But I have a hunch that at least for a lot of critics (Baby boomers and Gen X'ers), the reason for this is simply because comics were a medium for children when they were growing up. It's something they remember from their childhood and they look to comic book films to adhere to that sense of innocence and nostalgia. Even though Batman has roots as a darker character, the Batman they grew up reading was nowhere near the hardcore and cynical Batman of the 80s. But, seeing as I was born in the 80s...that's the Batman I've always been accustomed to. If I were to sum it up, I think Nolan's Bat-films were a great blend of 70s and 80s Batman. There was darkness, there was cynicism, there were truly scary villains and weighty themes, but at the same time Batman remained a truly heroic figure with altruistic intentions. And I also want to just point out that despite the Schumacher years, Burton's Batman did wonders to change the mainstream palette when it comes to Batman. Burton set the precedent for a darker version of the character in the movies, then Nolan took that precedent and ran with it. There needed to be that progression, I feel. I don't know if the mainstream would have been ready for something like The Dark Knight in 1989.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158