View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 08:12 AM   #119
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
The fact that Batman is enjoying a transient phase of popularity after the Nolan movies is meaningless to me. I have been a Batman fan since I was six, and I have never felt that I needed the validation of the faddish and half-baked enthusiasm of the masses. In a sense, the heightened popularity can be a negative thing, as it tends to lead to the product being directed at the lowest common denominator.

That may sound unduly negative, but it isn't meant to be. I am saying that Batman, Superman et al will continue to feature in great stories written by passionate people, regardless of the current whim of the 'general audience'.
I've been a fan since I was six as well. I guess in my case, I just have a lot of non-comic nerd friends and I got a kick out of seeing them equally as excited for these movies as I was. Reading comics and seeing movies are such different experiences. Comics (and reading in general) are a solitary experience. One of the joys of cinema (for me), is sitting in a crowded theater, having the lights go down and having a collective immersive experience. Gathering round the campfire as it were. I really enjoyed being able to bring a whole variety of friends- fellow hardcore fans, casual fans and non-fans along for the ride with me. The movies as a whole were something I legitimately bonded with them over. Their enthusiasm for these films was anything but half-baked, let me tell you. I see a lot of movies with my friends- but only twice in the past 5 years did we wait on line for 9 hours for a midnight IMAX showing (and I made a couple of more friends with people on those lines).

To me there is a difference between having universal appeal, and appealing to the LCD. The Nolan films were mostly the former.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158