View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013, 11:42 PM   #244
Heretic
Side-Kick

Default Re: How Superman Resolved the Issue of Zod *MEGA SPOILER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
What this basically says to me is that I'm not supposed to like Superman.

Which could very well be true. Perhaps he's not there for me to like. He does his thing, despite no one being able to relate to him. Despite having an unintelligent and delusional outlook on politics and religion. Fine. But doesn't that make Superman Returns his best endeavor yet. He was an unlikable goober and completely immemorable in every way.?

But Superman doesn't care if you remember him. He will continue on despite the world disregarding his existence.

"It's a bird."
"It's a plane."
"No, its... who's that guy again?"
"Oh don't they call him Superguy or something?"
"I don't know, anyway what were you saying about Lady Gaga?"

But Snyder and Cavill have actually made a Superman I like. Maybe, in that, they failed. But I'm looking forward to the sequel. So they did something right.
Superman is the Man of Tomorrow...not the Man of Today. He is supposed to embody the things that we WISH we could be...he has no ego...he would die to save others who probably don't deserve it. The movie paid some cheap lip service to this...quoting from the comic directly...about how people will stumble behind him, but will be inspired by him and someday join him. For now, you aren't really supposed to like him or identify with him...you are to stand in awe of him.

Batman is the guy that you wish you could be as a teenager...Superman is more the guy you want your daughter to marry.