View Single Post
Old 06-16-2013, 12:17 AM   #267
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Default Re: How Superman Resolved the Issue of Zod *MEGA SPOILER*

I love the comic book Superman, and it is because of his incredible and noble moral outlook. If asked a year ago about Superman killing on the big screen I would be firmly in the anti camp on that question. I myself am very surprised at my own reaction. I accept this version, and think it added a weight, and emotional weight that might other wise not be there. I understand the other sides argument, I really do. That the creative team decided to write a story in which the resolution was Superman taking the life of the villain is the real bone of contention. They decided on no outs, no idealized magical 3rd option, some maguffin or some contrivance of Superman's super intellect. I would never in a million years thought I would be fine with that kind of story. But as a dramatic and heartfelt moment in a film, it worked. Because of the love and connection I have always felt for the character I was devastated he was put in this situation. It brought a strong reaction from me. However it did not ruin the movie for me. It did not make me think of this as a ''failed" version of Superman. If anything it made me commiserate with him all the more. As this is the first in a franchise picture and possibly a DCCU I have a strong feeling that this as an issue is not going to be glossed over in future installments. I have only my gut to tell me that having experienced the taking of a life, this Superman will not go down that road again and will, from this moment on, always look for another way. Of course, I could be wrong....