View Single Post
Old 06-16-2013, 01:31 AM   #280
Heretic
Side-Kick

Default Re: How Superman Resolved the Issue of Zod *MEGA SPOILER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanin View Post
Not a tactic or hyperbole or anything. Tis my serious opinion as a trait that can go either way. I forgo the flying as people will never want to change that. Though I think it silly.

But a no kill policy should be dependent on the story being told. Kal-El/Clark isn't Superman yet. He is just an alien who lives on Earth who did his best growing up and stopped an alien invasion. He will become Superman in the sequel if we are lucky enough to get one. Hopefully with all the mortals and convictions of the comic character.

I see no reason why he should have a no kill policy at this point in his career. He is raised American and we are violence incarnate. He is fighting a General who becomes a madman with the loss of his genetic purpose for life and basically chooses to commit suicide. The only way to contain Zod was destroyed... and with how fast Zod was growing in strength the probability of not being able to stop him for much longer.

They did not show Kal going through anything profound enough in his life to warrant a no kill policy. I hope that Zod's death is what makes him decide one way or the other what kind of a beacon he wishes to be for the people of Earth.

Though to say on a personal level.... I was shocked at his death even though I knew it was coming. It was well acted and well written in the context of this film. I've lost quite a bit of sleep over this scene so I think it worked well.
You're right in that the movie gave us no reason to think he wouldn't kill. That is a shame, and not in keeping with the Superman from the past several decades.

Superman is more than just an American...he's THE American. Remember, he is not the Man of Today, he is the Man of Tomorrow. America claims to be about peace, yet we bomb people constantly...Superman really is about peace. Superman really is humble. He embodies all of the great things that we claim to be or wish we could be. He is not like that through trial and error. He is like that because of the Kents (though, clearly, we saw nothing like this in Man of Steel).

If we are going to encourage and support changes to characters...then please show me the support for the Deadpool character from Wolverine. Why did comic fans reject him??? After all...the merc with no mouth who teleports and has swords in his arms was just a new, bold take on the character. Why did people complain??? Why does it ever matter to have ANY consistency or faithfulness to the comics? Superman was RADICALLY changed in this new origin story. An entire generation of people will now view him incorrectly...and we are likely to see the comic character altered to fit this new viewpoint. The Superman that I want to read believes that no one has the right to decide who dies and he ESPECIALLY does not have that right, since he has the power to kill at will.