View Single Post
Old 06-16-2013, 12:08 PM   #327
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Default Re: How Superman Resolved the Issue of Zod *MEGA SPOILER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKŪ View Post
Superman's 'no killing' rule, the same rule used by characters such as Batman and Spider-Man, were included by the writers as a way to justify the limitations put in place by the Comics Code Authority. Now that it's gone, the rules should be relaxed, and in the cases of other characters it has been.
I think the same when people gets mad at Batman 89.

Quote:
Superman shouldn't kill as a general rule because his powers give him an overwhelming advantage. He could kill every criminal on Earth but he doesn't because it's not right for him to do so.

I don't see, however, how this applies to a murderous supervillain who will not listen to reason and is directly threatening those around him.
I think the key here is not that Zod is a "murderous supervillain who will not listen to reason and is directly threatening those around him," because that could describe every Superman villain.

The key here is that Zod is as powerful as he is.

Quote:
If Superman let Zod kill those people, he would look like a fool. He would be directly responsible for their death. He would be a coward who couldn't bring himself to do what was right just because he doesn't feel comfortable doing it.

For me, Superman crying out in anguish over Zod's death is enough. It shows that he is not prepared to kill unless he absolutely has to. This makes Superman a stronger character rather than "I will not kill ever", because it shows he focuses on what is right rather than what makes him feel good.
The problem is that if Superman is able to turn Zod's neck like that he's able to turn his head, thus saving those people. He didn't need to kill him right there. And if for not allowing Zod to kill, he had killed thousands with his machine. I remember dozens of buildings torn down.

Basically the movie tried to put a critic situation, but it was much more critic before and Superman showed that he was strong enough to save that family from Zod. So we're left to think that Superman was just exhausted, or just thought, Ok, this guy just told me he'd rather die than surrender, so be it.