View Single Post
Old 06-16-2013, 10:57 PM   #550
gdw
Side-Kick

Default Re: How Superman Resolved the Issue of Zod *MEGA SPOILER*

I was genuinely shocked by this moment, and LOVED the way it was done. I did not see it coming, and I really think he pretty much had no choice, which was exactly what Zod was trying to do.

Zod was a man with absolutely nothing to loose at that point, and also, nothing to live for. Nothing driving him except the loss of, not just his race's hopes of survival (in his view of it,) but a complete loss of purpose.

The reaction of Superman was perfect. It was a defining moment for him, in my eyes. I believe, in that world, that moment defines him, and his views on killing. Or should I say it cements them for him.

He will NEVER do it again, you can see that from his reaction.

I actually turned to my wife after my initial shock and said "that's the difference between him and Batman; though both have a no killing policy, batman would have found already had another way."

I've said before, Superman may be the boyscout, but Batman is the one who's always prepared.

Though I haven't read the comic arc where Superman killed Zod, from what I've heard about it, it sounds almost like he did what Batman never will with the Joker.
With Man of Steel, it was a direct, in the moment, forcing him to have no other choice, and I actually think I like it better.

I am, in my personal ethics view, 100% ok with killing in direct self defense. Self defense (or directly defending someone in immediate threat) is completely moral, though also a last resort, in my view.

Conversely, I also completely am against the notion that the ends justify the means. The means must be consistent with the ends. I see this as the difference between what we saw in MOS, compared to what we, as I remember hearing it (how's that for reliable accuracy, lol) saw in the comics, where it was more of a, 'because you'll never stop/you killed so many already, this is "justice"' kind of thing.

Thanks Cconn, for the avvy.

"Originally we wanted Bill Murray to play Batman." - Jon Peters.