View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #62
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Default Re: Smallville's influence in the comics, other DC media

Quote:
Originally Posted by RakuMon View Post
I too picked up on these during the movie. Funnily, my wife who watched Smallville with me kept pointing out how much Cavil looked like Tom Welling. And I thought there were definitely times, especially in the
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
tornado scene
Cavil really gave off a Tom Welling vibe.

The "Smallville" and "Birthright" inflected first half was definitely my favorite part of the movie. Part of me wished there was more of those scenes. But I guess that's what ten years of "Smallville" is for.

PS-I thought it would have been a nice nod to the show if they cast an African American boy for Pete and an Asian American actress for Lana.
Yeah, there were several points in the film where I felt the Smallville influence was strong. I've said this in other places, but I could almost make the argument that this was a Smallville movie, or at least a movie based on what everyone expected Smallville to be about. If you get rid of the sub-plots and teenage angst and romance stuff, and found a way to condense the series so that it only focused on Clark and he got the suit and flew sooner, then they would almost be the same. A lot of the flashbacks with the Kents really made me want to go back and watch Smallville just to see certain themes expanded upon.

And I agree, whenever Cavill would smile around Martha, you could see a similar Tom Welling smile. I know people are saying there's a scene where he looks like Reeve, but more often than not, I saw more of a resemblance to Welling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RakuMon View Post
Also,
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Clark is 33 when he first dons the suit in the movie, and people gave "Smallville" crap for not putting Tom in the suit for ten years. By my math, Clark was 25 in "Finale", so he beat Cavil's Superman by at least eight years!

Part of me feels like the decision to have him skip the years of training came from Smallville. I remember the plan there was to end the show after season 4 with him finding the Fortress because it would be in sync with the Donner version. But then Brian/Kelly had the sense of mind to change it up and having his do his training in doses, as opposed to all at once.