View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #261
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Default Re: What's So Bad About Superman Returns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGHulk View Post
What didn't work was Superman going after Lois, the kid's future didn't matter. To Superman it didn't matter to him that the kid would be growing up without his father and mother together. Superman didn't care about the well being of the child, his relationship in wanting Lois was more important than the kids well being and having the kid grow up with his mother and father living together at home.
So when he rescued both Lois and Jason, when he visited Lois's home just to tell him "You will be different, sometimes you'll feel like an outcast, but you'll never be alone" and when Superman told Lois "I'm always around"... you interpreted it as he didn't care for Jason???

Quote:
Superman flew to their house spying on them, thank god nobody was going to the bathroom or was naked.
It wouldn't have mattered. Superman could have seen that in the distance.

Quote:
He left Earth looking for life on remains of an exploded planet, really, it exploded! How the hell was supposed to find life on the remains of an exploded planet, it exploded!
That should have been explained a lot better.

Quote:
His ship didn't have shields to protect him from the Kryptonite (from the deleted Return to Krypton sequence), Superman isn't very smart!
Honest question, it is stated that it didn't?

Quote:
He didn't say good bye to Lois because if he did he couldn't leave? What a coward! When she told him how she felt and how he was wrong for leaving her, he gave her a silly grins that she was wrong not seeing it his way! He thought he did nothing wrong, when clearly he did! I know he apologized later on, but earlier he just came across as a dick!
That's another of SR's flaws. Superman didn't need to skip saying good-bye in order to have a Lois Lane angry at him for leaving.

Quote:
With him moping around that he is alone and actually believing the world doesn't need him, and he can never be one of them and the human world is filled with monstrous deceits, (dialogue used from Brando to put that negative spin on Superman's view of us), where was that hope aspect that is expected and what who Superman is all about, he's not supposed to go all cynical on us, he's supposed to see what's good about us and never give up on us even if we do!
That's when you have to accept that Superman can't be a steady immutable icon 100% of time and should start having some problems in order to have his character going somewhere. He didn't quit his powers in SII for Lois if he lived in perpetual and steady hope and joy of helping others.

Quote:
This wasn't a Superman movie it was a Lex and Lois movie, Superman wasn't even the center of his own movie. It was a film were Lois had to decide which guy she wanted, and Lex's and Lois getting most of the lines! Superman barely said anything in the film.
Superman was plenty in the film and did plenty too. I don't know how Lois being able to choose who to be with is any indicative that this is a movie about her only.

Quote:
At the end of the film Superman had no pulse after the doctors failed attempts to revive him, then we see him sleeping in the hospital room, how did he come back alive?
You really have never heard of cases when people lose their pulse and then get it back?

Quote:
Kate Bosworth was to young for the part, it was like a young person trying to act like an older person. Brandon Routh did an impersonation of Christopher Reeve instead of playing his own version of the character. Kevin Spacey seemed disingenuous, it didn't look like he actually was playing a character but walking through the scenes with his disingenuous smile.
Kate was too young. But Routh was supposed to continue Reeve's Superman. I mean, it's a sequel. That should have told you something about it. And I share you complaint about Spacey; I myself thought he would pull a better Lex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
You pretty much hit all the points of what rubbed me most the wrong way about the film. Superman regardless of routh's portrayal was just not likable for those actions you mentioned above.
But Superman has quit his mission in SII. Very un-Superman. Now in MOS he let his father die just like that.

Quote:
Frankly that scene where he had his "sky-waltz" with lois while her husband was down in the daily planet made me sick. This guy came off as a home-wrecker.
Well, Lois was the one who - when Superman was still out there and no sign of him coming back - said NO to him when he proposed. Richard pretty much knew what kind of relationship they had.

Quote:
Singer actually admitted that Returns was more of a love story than anything.
Everything in Donner movies regarding Superman is a love story. Not impressed SR is also one.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote