View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #68
Cosmic
Theosophist

Default Re: TMOS Review & Speculation Thread (Spoilers) - Part 4

I saw this a couple of days ago. Yes, it was truly epic, with quality acting, amazing action, and a great retelling of the origin story. However, there were missteps and problems throughout that really brought it down from being a great Superman movie. I believe the problems are essentially a result of the director trying too hard to "force the issue." Some examples of this are: Pa getting killed by the tornado, 33 year-old Clark coming home and excitedly exclaiming to Ma that he's found his real parents...and then not understanding her less-than-enthusiastic reaction, and the entire classroom hanging around outside the locked closet (even after Ma comes to help...can't they give them a moment in private? Are they that cruel? Or bored?).

The worst example of this "forcing" is of course, Superman breaking Zod's neck. Zod initially sets the terms: one of us must die. When Superman ultimately kills him, he gives in to Zod's terms. In a way, Zod wins. By focusing on killing the humans, he basically gave up trying to kill Superman and instead forced him into a no-win situation. Right here is where Superman should have displayed true heroism and found an alternative solution to defy Zod's terms. But apparently, Snyder insisted that Superman must kill Zod, and so we get this forced scene where Superman is set up to fail by the filmmakers, and is morally defeated and demoralized.

There are a lot of other problems with the film, as well as quite a few aspects that I genuinely loved. But this was a critical flaw. I'm not even going as far to say that Superman must never kill. All I'm saying is, the way it played out in MOS was an epic failure that deserves harsh criticism.

In summary, this film deserves credit for doing some good and great things, and also should be recognized for it's glaring problems. The overall tone was so heavy, stark and grim...the apocalyptic spectacle and degree of violence and destruction is going to be too much for some kids (and adults) who want to enjoy a fun Superman movie. And I think something about that is just wrong.

On a scale of 1-10, I rate MOS a 7/10. But as a Superman movie, it failed. I hope someone listens and considers making the sequel lighter, more fun and engaging, and most of all, lifts Superman up to being the hero that he deserves to be.

Not only can Krypto now talk like a human, but his powers are far superior to mine! I can no longer be his master! -Superboy, Adventure Comics #239
Cosmic is online now   Reply With Quote