View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 07:28 AM   #78
titansupes
Side-Kick

Default Re: TMOS Review & Speculation Thread (Spoilers) - Part 4

Okay. So, I just saw it, finally. I won't right a full review, because some CRAZY stuff is happening politically here in Australia right now. Like absurd stuff.

Visually (costumes/sets etc): 10/10.
Casting/acting: 10/10.
FX: 10/10.
Sound: I have no idea, it was so ****ing loud it got hard to make things out.
Script: God, I don't know... 4?

Eh. It's okay. The script is... terrible. The pacing/structure is just wrong. Come on, man. I don't know if it's down to the script itself, or if it was butchered in editing (Snyder has said that an hour was cut out in editing). I liked the dialogue (could've been more humour). The characterisations are really great. All the individual scenes are great, it's just... How they're put together that leaves something to be desired.

I loved the pace of the fights (finally someone gets superspeed right) but I think there are ways to slow parts of it down without getting into bullet time or the speed ramping Snyder is known for. And the blaring noise didn't help, either. Seriously, my ears hurt.

The cast nailed it. Someone in another thread pointed out the difference between the 'big' Reeve Superman and the 'natural' Cavill Superman. To that poster (I'm sorry I can't remember who) is spot on. Reeve nailed the silver age/bronze age version, and likewise Cavill has nailed the Post-Crisis version (Jurgens etc).

Adams is nearly without dispute... the perfect Lois. Killed it.

I loved everyone else, too, by the way, but there's just too much to say.

The tone... I like it. It could have been a bit happier, I think. But there's certainly room for that in the sequel, if they so choose.
The shaky cam I really liked, but if overstays it's welcome by the time the World Engine fight comes (and yes, Cavill certainly looks like Reeve in that shot, but I don't think they did that to him on purpose). After that, I just want to see the fights (of which there were too many) clearly. By the time Superman vs Zod comes, it's like "Ugh, again?".

I loved seeing the Kryptonians in different stages of outfits (Jor-El strips to his undersuit, as does Zod, and we see him with the cape ala Superman during the dream sequence... Which itself, was awesome. ) All those costumes, everything in the movie, looked beautiful.

That's all I got right now...

Oh, And Superman killing Zod was fantastic. I really liked it. I might've saved it for movie 2 or 3, but I really liked it.

titansupes is online now   Reply With Quote