View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #7
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Default Re: The Glasses Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
Maybe? I don't remember them being that close. As close as they were, they'd know that they're both tall guys with black hair. That's not super specific.
Not specific, but they'd know that Clark could pass for Superman at that range. Again... that's cool. That wouldn't come to someone's mind unless they had some reason for it too.

Quote:
I disagree. Perry knows Lois was tracking this guy down, that's how they're connected. A reasonably intelligent person isn't going to assume a romantic relationship based solely on one kiss between two attractive people in the middle of a stressful crisis.
Again, no one would base it solely on the kiss, literally everyone knows that Lois (and only Lois) knows Superman personally. How romantic they think the relationship is is almost immaterial - but I think most would assume there was a romantic aspect to the relationship, at least after that. Regardless, Perry simply knows why Lois knows Superman personally, but everyone knows they know each other, because it was on national TV. The association is already there, the kiss just qualifies the nature of the relationship.

Quote:
Of course, Clark and Lois starting a relationship might get Perry thinking along those lines, but it's hardly proof and a veteran journalist like Perry wouldn't assume that Clark is Superman just based on that.
Perry or Steve or Jenny. Also, keep in mind these are people whose job is to pay attention to details. They wouldn't naturally need "We're in a relationship now!" to start that association in their minds.

Quote:
I disagree. If you never put him in a situation where the disguise would fail, the audience probably won't think much about it.
Well, we just disagree here, because I'm convinced that the audience is already thinking about it, since they've been talking about it since 1978.

Quote:
I disagree that Steve Lobard has two and two to put together in the first place. All he has is the fact that he saw Superman for a couple of seconds at a distance. I see no reason to assume that he, or anyone else at the Planet staff, would recognize Clark as Superman right away. I see reason to think why Perry might figure it out after a while, and I think that's a cool rout to take with the story, but from the events of the film I feel like Clark has a little cover from being discovered by his co-workers.
No one would recognize him right away. I'm not sure what cover you're seeing though. Unless something happens, him being discovered is just a matter of time.

Quote:
I never said that he should never get in close contact with anyone. I said that he should never sit down for an interview or photos. There's a difference. Sure, he'd probably talk to the people he rescues. Odds are, none of the people he rescues will ever meet him as Clark Kent. And he's fast enough that, should he choose to avoid being photographed, then yes, no one will be able to get a shot of him.

I disagree. Making something "cool" isn't how you get the audience to not think about something. At least, it is a way but it's not the only way. And, in fact, in this case making it cool wouldn't do that because it would draw attention to it.

Another way is to tailor your plot and the interactions of your characters so that the question just doesn't come up in the minds of the audience. If you don't draw attention to the idea that the Daily Planet staff got a good look at Superman's face, the audience probably won't think much about it. If you never put Superman in a position where he sits down and talks to someone who might see him as Clark, the audience won't think much about it. If you never have Superman pose for photographs or give a public recorded interview, the audience won't think much about it.
You're talking about Superman not being a public figure, about him dodging camera phones. I think this is the story gymnastics that Goyer was talking about it. It's natural for Superman to be caught on camera. It's natural for Superman to come to the Daily Planet at some point. To write around that - simply to avoid the flimsiness of the disguise, I doubt anyone can make that seem natural, because it's very much not.

Quote:
This is based on the assumption that they were close enough and looking at him long enough to see a significant resemblance between Clark and Superman, and that's not how it looked when I saw it. Looked to me like they were a couple hundred feet away with a bunch of soldiers and debris in between them and Superman, and he was standing in profile from their perspective, and after a couple of seconds he turned away to deal with Zod.
I didn't see any soldiers or debris in their way, and it didn't at all seem like a football field's distance, and it was almost a full minute.

Details aside, that was not my assumption at all. My assumption is that writing Superman as a camera-dodger is unnatural and/or anti-heroic, and possibly outside of Goyer's ability to write believably. That angle never even entered my mind, and it doesn't sound like a good idea to rob Superman of his story as a public figure to obfuscate something everyone's already talking about anyway.

I would suggest dealing with it head on and doing damage control, rather than risking having an elephant in the room.

Last edited by DrCosmic; 06-27-2013 at 03:17 PM.
DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote