View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Default Re: The Glasses Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Again, no one would base it solely on the kiss, literally everyone knows that Lois (and only Lois) knows Superman personally. How romantic they think the relationship is is almost immaterial - but I think most would assume there was a romantic aspect to the relationship, at least after that. Regardless, Perry simply knows why Lois knows Superman personally, but everyone knows they know each other, because it was on national TV. The association is already there, the kiss just qualifies the nature of the relationship.
How does one kiss qualify the nature of their relationship? If there's never any indication of Lois and Superman seeing each other socially, the nature of their relationship is that she discovered him and they kissed once, as far as anyone else knows.

Quote:
You're talking about Superman not being a public figure,
No I'm not. He's already a public figure. A person can be a public figure without being photographed. All being a public figure means is that the public is aware of and interested in your existence.

Quote:
about him dodging camera phones. I think this is the story gymnastics that Goyer was talking about it. It's natural for Superman to be caught on camera. It's natural for Superman to come to the Daily Planet at some point. To write around that - simply to avoid the flimsiness of the disguise, I doubt anyone can make that seem natural, because it's very much not.
I don't see how it's unnatural for Superman to never be photographed, or to never go to the Daily Planet. Simply have him make a conscious decision to avoid being photographed and to never go to the Daily Planet as Superman. Why does that seem unnatural. If you're trying to hide your identity, that feels perfectly natural to me.

Quote:
I didn't see any soldiers or debris in their way, and it didn't at all seem like a football field's distance, and it was almost a full minute.
It was far less than a minute. They were able to see his face for ten, fifteen seconds tops. He landed, kissed Lois, they talked for about three seconds, and then he turned to deal with Zod.

Quote:
Details aside, that was not my assumption at all. My assumption is that writing Superman as a camera-dodger is unnatural and/or anti-heroic, and possibly outside of Goyer's ability to write believably. That angle never even entered my mind, and it doesn't sound like a good idea to rob Superman of his story as a public figure to obfuscate something everyone's already talking about anyway.

I would suggest dealing with it head on and doing damage control, rather than risking having an elephant in the room.
How is anti-heroic to not stand still for people to take your photograph?

And how does avoiding photographs make him stop being a public figure? He's still a public figure even if nobody has a good photo of him.

I really don't see why having him avoid being photographed is a problem. It's how you solve the problem of the secret identity, and I don't see what's lost by doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
Well reporters all always in the middle of the action thet Clark would be covering events like disasters/floods/alien invasions in which the army gets involved.
There are 1.4 million active duty military personnel. Odds are, they won't run into each other again.

Last edited by The Question; 06-27-2013 at 04:06 PM.
The Question is online now   Reply With Quote