View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 06:36 PM   #67
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Default Re: Aaron Johnson May Be Quicksilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
I have no idea where you live, but I hardly think that having incestuous or ambiguously incestuous heroes in a PG-13 comic book movie will be interesting to audiences in North America, or anywhere else for that matter. Can you name a single mainstream blockbuster that intentionally used incest as a plot point? Why aren't there any? Because most people aren't deviants. The sick and twisted are a minuscule demographic, which explains why their entertainment needs are so tragically under-served by Hollywood.
Jesus. Disagree with me if you want. But if you want me to start naming PG-13 films with taboo content I would be happy to. And no. I can't name a single mainstream PG13 blockbuster that used incest as a plot point. Nor am I saying that Avengers 2 should use incest as a plot point.

I'm saying that it's an interesting dynamic to drop subtle hints toward BECAUSE it's never been used in a mainstream blockbuster. The comics included it (quite subtly) without even a parental advisory. Just because it's taboo and by yours and my decree "sick and twisted" doesn't mean it doesn't exist in the world.

No one is saying they should advocate inbreeding. Merchandise for Avengers 2 shouldn't include anatomically correct Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch dolls with removable clothing. Nor should they sell two packs of life-size blow up sex dolls. Just like they don't advocate sex with Tony/Pepper. At least, if they did, I must have missed it.

But if it makes for intriguing cinema just like (as some other posters so fairly put) the ever popular Game of Thrones, or Dexter, or the very popular, very taboo, and quite mainstream Stieg Larsson movies. Granted, they are all very graphic but all rated R (or the equivalent). But Hollywood has been known to push the envelope. And you are being naive if you think this topic in PG13 films won't happen someday.

They thought the same about gay and lesbian content in PG13 cinema 10-15 years ago. And then Paranorman came out last year.