View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013, 04:34 AM   #477
regwec
Shakespearo

Default Re: The Batman Reboot Casting Thread - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteF50 View Post
Meathead? How does the size of his body make him look stupid? He looks like Batman.

The videogame Batman does not have human proportions. Each bicep is twice as thick as his skull. If a human being looked like that, unkind people would call him a freak. It is no commendation of an actor who might prospectively play Bruce Wayne that they look anything like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteF50 View Post
How can you not buy this guy as being a billionaire just because he looks muscular without a shirt?
Well, there are three things to consider here.

Firstly, there is more to Bruce Wayne than being "a billionaire". Wealth does not in itself connote any particular qualities or attributes. Kanye West is obscenely rich, but is entirely devoid of any class. Bruce Wayne is the last scion of an ancient, quasi-aristocratic European ancestry. His persona is that of a frivolous playboy, but effortless sophistication should be something he exudes. Further, behind all of that, must lie the haunted little boy with a deadly secret. Whilst I acknowledge that your guy was not exactly trying to exhibit all of that while he is standing there grinning with his shirt off, that image in itself doesn't inform any expectation that he can command the sensitivity and intelligence in his face and manner that is required to play the part.

Secondly, it is not just a matter of him 'looking muscular'. Any actor who wants to sell himself as a more traditional Bruce Wayne (as opposed to a Keaton-esque interpretation) is going to be pretty strong and fit. The thing is that we have seen dozens of pictures of your guy now- mostly with his shirt off, admittedly- and I am developing an impression that he looks a bit thick. That is probably just a result of the kind of 'look- abs' pose he strikes in most of the pictures, but it is that subjectivity alone on which I am commenting. But, for me, he doesn't seem to have that crucial 'intelligence' in his face that made Bale so right.

Thirdly, to restate the point, we are only commenting on the guy's appearance. We don't know if he can or can't nail the part unless we are privy to see him do a screen test or something. So, while I think he looks like a bad choice based on some of your pictures, I am not saying that should be the last word on the matter. I could well be totally wrong.

It is unnecessary to point out that somebody's opinion is their opinion. Don't.

Worried they might cast a black man as your favourite superhero? :(