View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013, 02:04 PM   #422
In the shadows
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Originally Posted by regwec View Post
No, you're right. But it was reasonably well received and I remember, when watching it with my girlfriend, her turning to me and asking "this actually got decent reviews?" I couldn't defend it. It was the first Marvel CBM I saw where the Marvel Formula TM was so obvious. Everything about it was so lazy and cynical- the script seemed to be written by tick boxes.

Given the immaculate reviews it received and the box office it took, plus good word of mouth from fans, I thought that The Avengers couldn't fail to be better. Within perhaps half an hour, I thought to myself, "they've done it again". It felt like an achievement of commercial strategy, and little else. Here were The Avengers, all presented like a complete set of action figures. Here was story no.47(b) from the comicbook cliche backlog, adjusted to meet 9/10 market research tick-boxes. Switch on the money machine.

I hate feeling like a grouch about this, and I am genuinely pleased that so many fans enjoy these films. But I just find them patronizing, insulting to my intelligence and my reasonable expectations about the minimum extent to which a movie should be creative. I know I nit-pick the hell out of Nolan's Batmovies, but that is probably because there is obviously a vision and a degree of artistry there which I find engaging, if occasionally frustrating. The Marvel Movie Machine, for me, produces guilty pleasures without the pleasure- just a surfeit of dumb.

Anyway, Marvel fans must forgive me- I am not arguing that there is anything wrong with the IP and I recognize the popularity of these films. I would just hate to see my favourite characters given the same treatment.
Although I do find The Avengers and most Marvel films to be enjoyable, I agree with you from the most part. Despite the varying degree of opinion on TDKR, I think it's safe to say that Nolan's Batman films were simply "on another level" in terms of filmmaking, artistry, creative freedom, and cinematic achievement.

I'll be there... around every corner, in every empty room, as inevitable as your guilty conscience...