View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013, 08:35 PM   #156
-Arya-
Batman v Superman - 2016

Default Re: Updated Rating for The Dark Knight Rises

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
I gave it a 9 last year. But now it's definitely a solid 8. I still really, really enjoy the film, but it has more glaring issues or "flaws" that I cannot let pass. The scope, depth, character interactions, and acting still holds up extremely well. But the lack of a true revolution with more insight into the Gothamites struggles with not only Bane's occupation but with them questioning the validity of Batman and the truth about Harvey Dent is what really bugs me. I'd say that's the thing that I can't believe Nolan skimmed over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
You see, that's the thing - Nolan doesn't ignore a lot of those plot points in TDK, he just skims over them in favor of other....things.

Gordon actually gets arrested by "the people" in TDKR for his lies to the public, but he doesn't have any form of a mea culpa when he stands trial. That scene should have had so much weight to it, but Nolan just skimps out on the juicy stuff.

The Harvey Dent cover up is revealed by Bane at Blackgate prison, and then we see the fall out of a pissed off, jaded, and lied to Gotham City. Brilliant stuff is shown in the montage, but that is it. It stops right there after that scene, and then it's clean streets for the rest of the film.

Rachel's letter is something I haven't really though about. I mean, it's revealed to Bruce from Alfred in there last conversation before Alfred leaves. Great scene. But yeah, it's not really mentioned anymore. I guess you can spin it that Bruce really locked in on a subconscious suicide mission when he fought Bane the first time; because of hearing about the dear john letter. Still that's rather skimmed over too, but not as bad as the first two I mentioned.
I agree with most of what you mentioned here. I initially gave it an 9-9.5/10 and I think my rating today would be a strong 9/10. Despite the flaws in glossing over some of the poignant material from TDK, this films sheer emotional power with Bruce's journey still captivates me. I truely loved it.

-Arya- is online now   Reply With Quote