View Single Post
Old 06-29-2013, 10:19 PM   #170
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Default Re: Updated Rating for The Dark Knight Rises

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
Honestly, I think it is best if we never go beyond the end credits of TDKR.

What I do feel we missed out on were adventures in between TDK and TDKR. I sincerely get that Nolan was tired after two and only wanted to do one more. Besides, (good) sequels are about escalation and the only way to really escalate from TDK was to have a villain actually SUCCEED in destroying the city, if only temporarily, as TDKR did.

However, it feels like there are several missing chapters to Bruce Wayne's journey. There should be at least one story of Batman throwing himself into his work in an all-consuming way after Rachel's death until he realizes that the Dent Act has allowed Gotham to no longer need him. It would also be great if it took two years later after TDK, implying Bruce Wayne has lived and breathed Batman in his "prime" for close to 4 years at this point, explaining why his body is in such bad shape during TDKR.

I understand that Nolan did not want the story to become episodic, but it does feel like we skipped a few steps to get to the end, which TDKR was a fine version of. But that feeling like there is more that could have happened in-between is my only complaint about the trilogy. And ultimately, it is pretty minor.
See, that's where I would have to disagree. Some things TDKR couldn't really answer due to time constraints because of IMAX or just because things couldn't have moved that fast to answer them. Once a new mayor is brought on board, I'm sure Gordon's job will be put on the spotlight because of the Dent conspiracy(but in the film it makes sense that the "war hero" is still the Commissioner as much as Batman is celebrated as they are both responsible for the Dent conspiracy), how Wayne Enterprises will progress after Bruce's "death" since he gave away his items in his will to take care of Wayne Enterprises' debt, what will become of Robin John Blake or Scarecrow(which I always assume would go hand to hand as Scarecrow could be Blake's first "villain" since it was Bruce's), or what even of Joker(since Nolan obviously didn't want to mention him)? An epilogue would be amazing and a must need, imo.

And I could actually see Bruce quitting as Batman very quickly after TDK's events because, as we know of how criminality works in Nolan's universe, the center of it all is organized crime and the top guys are done for by the end of TDK. While something of Bruce being captivated over this Batman monster would and could be cool, it does make sense for what is shown. I would think such as you if it wasn't really mentioned that organized crime is this "root of evil" when it comes to crimes in Gotham, but it is mentioned in Batman Begins by Rachel Dawes.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote