View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 03:48 AM   #46
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Default Re: The Official Lex Luthor Casting Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
I had a similar take to yours for a long time. But superheroes and their fictional worlds, I think, come from the same place in the human psyche that caused the creation of the older pagan/pantheistic "myth's" of the ancient world.
Yes, in that they're all made up and someone imagined them; one is just as fake and "make believe" as the other. Lol.

Quote:
Yet those myths were also subject to change over time. I think that, yes you can change these characters to the point where they are not even close to embodying the essential nature the majority of fans would recognize (That Spider-Man drives a mecha show from Japan springs to mind). But change and adaptation is a hallmark of these "mythic" characters. And as this country's demographics inevitably shift we will see more changes in the racial presentations of these beloved icons. I will admit to being a little uneasy with some of the recreations that have occurred, and I probably will be challenged to accept a lot of the coming changes on a case by case basis. But I am now much more open to these types of things. You are not wrong to hold onto wanting to see these characters as you have seen them done in the past. But change is one of the great "givens" of life. Maybe rolling with it and having some fun at the same time is a more psychically healthy thing for us all to do. Just my two cents. NAMASTE
Interesting views there, but I really think if they want to change mainstays of "myths" so bad, they can just make up new ones, like they also did with myths. Changing the color of a character's skin does not make him any more or less relevant. I think that's kind of absurd to think. Just as those myths are products of their homelands, eras (yes they are allowed to be updated in the modern sense that Batman no longer drives a 30s automobile and the characters no longer dress in fedoras, etc, adjustments like that should go without saying), and people, so superheroes are of theirs. The Greek Gods don't become any less Greek because a white american likes the stories and wants to tell them. Changing them in that sense isn't something I can really have "fun" with at all. I'd almost rather not see anything done with them at all than to see them distorted and misinterpreted. I really don't think it's too much to ask, ya know? But if you were able to make peace with it, then great for you and I'm happy for you in a way I suppose. lol

Last edited by Kevin Smith; 07-01-2013 at 04:32 AM.
Kevin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote