View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #75
regwec
Shakespearo

Default Re: The Official Lex Luthor Casting Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post
I really think if they wanted to make Luthor black in the 40s they'd have made him black.
That rather misses the point. By any modern standard, society in the 1940s was racist. Most literature was produced by whites for whites, comics being no exception, and consequently most characters featured were white. DC has been left with a very unrepresentative stable of characters, and effort are being made to address this (hence Cyborg in the Justice League).

Is it really your belief that we should still be trying to second guess the intentions of people writing in the 40s? Because their views today are out of date. The DC universe of the 1940s just doesn't look like the world the way it is now.

Quote:
When they have changed the races of major characters (Catwoman for instance) like you suggested, they've usually sucked and regardless are not remembered as the "iconic" (i.e "best) interpretation of that character.
I really don't think the tone of Halle Berry's skin was the problem with 'Catwoman'. Are you really suggesting that it was?

Quote:
Julie Newmar will always be preferred to Eartha Kitt, Michele Pfeiffer to Halle Berry, because they are closer to and better represent the true versions of their characters.
I direct you to the answer above, but also note that Eartha Kitt has plenty of fans, and you are being a bit presumptuous. I strongly doubt that any sensible people prefer Pfeiffer's Catwoman to Berry's because Berry is black. That would be a massive insult to both actresses.

Quote:
How they look is 50% of being the character.
No, it really isn't. Do you honestly think the appeal of Lex Luthor as an antagonist is provided by his bald head or his pink skin?

Michael Caine looked nothing like Alfred from the comics. Tom Hardy looked nothing like Bane from the comics. Eckhardt's Harvey Dent had blonde hair, unlike the character from the comics. By the standards you are trying to apply, these performances were all 50% flawed. And yet, they were all fine.

Quote:
It's simple. Lex Luthor isn't black. Clark Kent isn't a blonde. You can cast a blonde as Superman, but you damn sure better dye his hair black if you do. (they even gave Routh blue contacts to wear...although I'd have been fine with a brown eyed Superman since that's not THAT big a deal to ME, but it just shows how important that is to people)
What about Samuel Jackson's Nick Fury or Daniel Craig's James Bond? Were those characters ruined by being cast against physical type?

As I have said, I do believe that characters racial makeup should be retained where it carries an important cultural connotation (i.e. James Bond or Clark Kent). But you seem to be arguing that there is some over-arching quality derived from skin colour that trumps everything else. I can't agree with that.

It is unnecessary to point out that somebody's opinion is their opinion. Don't.

Worried they might cast a black man as your favourite superhero? :(
regwec is offline   Reply With Quote