View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #77
Kevin Smith
Papa Spank!

Default Re: The Official Lex Luthor Casting Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
That rather misses the point. By any modern standard, society in the 1940s was racist. Most literature was produced by whites for whites, comics being no exception, and consequently most characters featured were white. DC has been left with a very unrepresentative stable of characters, and effort are being made to address this (hence Cyborg in the Justice League).
Doesn't make it okay to make Luthor black.

Quote:
Is it really your belief that we should still be trying to second guess the intentions of people writing in the 40s? Because their views today are out of date. The DC universe of the 1940s just doesn't look like the world the way it is now.
No, but established, successful, and "iconic" CB characters shouldn't have their races changed.

Quote:
I really don't think the tone of Halle Berry's skin was the problem with 'Catwoman'. Are you really suggesting that it was?
Nope. The problem with the Halle Berry Catwoman film was it was a bad film. Her miscasting was the cherry on top.

Quote:
I direct you to the answer above, but also note that Eartha Kitt has plenty of fans, and you are being a bit presumptuous. I strongly doubt that any sensible people prefer Pfeiffer's Catwoman to Berry's because Berry is black. That would be a massive insult to both actresses.
People prefer Pfeiffer's Catwoman to Berry's because it was a better portrayal (film wise) and closer to the Catwoman of the comics. Catwoman in the comics also happens to be white. Eartha Kitt has plenty of fans, but her Catwoman is the least popular of the 3 actresses that played her on the tv show and the worst portrayal of her on tv. Julie Newmar as the best live action Catwoman to date.

Quote:
No, it really isn't. Do you honestly think the appeal of Lex Luthor as an antagonist is provided by his bald head or his pink skin?
When you put it that way, no, but there is a certain image people expect with Lex Luthor that is synonymous with him when it comes to mind and "black guy" isn't it.

Quote:
Michael Caine looked nothing like Alfred from the comics.
Michael Caine is an old british guy. That's what Alfred is. Works for me. (he wasn't machine gun toting at least)

Quote:
Tom Hardy looked nothing like Bane from the comics.
Nolan's Bane was nothing like the Bane from the comics. he was Bane in name only. But it was a good performance and entertaining movie.

Quote:
Eckhardt's Harvey Dent had blonde hair, unlike the character from the comics.
Two Face's hair color, unlike Superman and Batman's, isn't really that big a deal. He always had brown or black hair in the comics. I'd have dyed Eckhart's hair....but I'dalso have done a permawhite Joker. Two Face should be white though.

Quote:
By the standards you are trying to apply, these performances were all 50% flawed. And yet, they were all fine.
That's not true at all. With the exceptions of one or two of those characters you mentioned, they are very close to their comics counterpart. It's not the same as making Superman's archnemesis, his most well known foe a black guy.

Quote:
What about Samuel Jackson's Nick Fury or Daniel Craig's James Bond? Were those characters ruined by being cast against physical type?
Samuel L Jackson is based on Ultimate Fury so that gets a free pass because it was in the comics and even better, the Ultimate comics; i.e. they didn't make the regular Nick Fury white.

Quote:
As I have said, I do believe that characters racial makeup should be retained where it carries an important cultural connotation (i.e. James Bond or Clark Kent). But you seem to be arguing that there is some over-arching quality derived from skin colour that trumps everything else. I can't agree with that.
I am arguing that they need to look like their comics counterpart, at least semi resemble them. And that's all I'm arguing. Black guy for Lex does not fit that bill.

PART 3
PART 4
PART 5

Last edited by Kevin Smith; 07-01-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Kevin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote