View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #82
KillerMcQueen
The Foolhardy

Default Re: The Official Lex Luthor Casting Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post
The comics on the other hand are one singular thing and what the films are trying to adapt. Lex needs to be white because that is who his character is and the Superman films, although not all continuations of each other, are not setup like the Bond films are therefore it does not work that way. Bond since his inception was like that; Bond on film makes its own mythology. The movies are always based off of whatever is in the comics and very rarely does something on film become how something is in the comics. The comics have for the most part ALWAYS been superior to what's been put on film and influenced the films, not the other way around.
I never understood why some people are so hellbent on not allowing movies to take ANY creative liberties. unless a CBM is a direct adaptation of a graphic novel (Watchmen, V for Vendetta, 300, etc.) I see no reason for them to be shackled to the comics when it can restrict the final results. the movies are NOT the comics, as far as the films go, we should take it as an introduction to an entirely new character, Spidey on film isn't the comicbook Spidey, Batman on film isn't the comicbook batman, same goes for any other comic book character. As for Lex being white, I don't see how that's integral to his character, I kinda thought that the characters personality was what made him what he is. race doesn't come into it, if comicbook Lex was suddenly black that'd raise some logic gaps, but this isn't the comics, it's an entirely different medium, and an entirely different version of these characters, as long as the actor has the ability to pull it off, then I don't care if they're black, white, or asian.

Last edited by KillerMcQueen; 07-01-2013 at 03:38 PM.
KillerMcQueen is offline   Reply With Quote