View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #91
Kevin Smith
Papa Spank!

Default Re: The Official Lex Luthor Casting Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerMcQueen View Post
I never understood why some people are so hellbent on not allowing movies to take ANY creative liberties.
ANY? Whoa, whoa, whoa...I NEVER said or implied that. I just don't want Luthor's race changed. I see no reason for this whatsoever. Just stick with the basics: Luthor is an evil bald white genius/scientist/inventor/millionaire. Keep that and do whatever you want with it. Goes for all of the characters. That's what you're supposed to do, tell new stories and put them in new situations. Not change what they are. Changing their races does nothing for them.

Do you want a blonde Superman?

Quote:
unless a CBM is a direct adaptation of a graphic novel (Watchmen, V for Vendetta, 300, etc.) I see no reason for them to be shackled to the comics when it can restrict the final results. the movies are NOT the comics, as far as the films go, we should take it as an introduction to an entirely new character, Spidey on film isn't the comicbook Spidey, Batman on film isn't the comicbook batman, same goes for any other comic book character. As for Lex being white, I don't see how that's integral to his character, I kinda thought that the characters personality was what made him what he is. race doesn't come into it, if comicbook Lex was suddenly black that'd raise some logic gaps, but this isn't the comics, it's an entirely different medium, and an entirely different version of these characters, as long as the actor has the ability to pull it off, then I don't care if they're black, white, or asian.
It's based off a comic book and Lex Luthor is one of the best known villains of all time.

I do care because in this day and age we can get people who are damn near, if not perfect for the part. I don't want to see an asian Joker or Luthor because the Joker and Luthor are not asian. It's really simple. How does casting him how he looks in the comics restrict the final result? If anything, it enhances it, and what you're suggesting diminishes it. Find a guy who can act and looks the part. It's not hard. If the 3 white guys you brought in don't work, bring in 3 other white guys and shave their heads. Done.

PART 3
PART 4
PART 5

Last edited by Kevin Smith; 07-01-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Kevin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote