View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #96
KillerMcQueen
Mildly sociopathic

Default Re: The Official Lex Luthor Casting Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post
ANY? Whoa, whoa, whoa...I NEVER said or implied that. I just don't want Luthor's race changed. I see no reason for this whatsoever. Just stick with the basics: Luthor is an evil bald white genius/scientist/inventor/millionaire. Keep that and do whatever you want with it. Goes for all of the characters. That's what you're supposed to do, tell new stories and put them in new situations. Not change what they are. Changing their races does nothing for them.

Do you want a blonde Superman?

It's based off a comic book and Lex Luthor is one of the best known villains of all time.

I do care because in this day and age we can get people who are damn near, if not perfect for the part. I don't want to see an asian Joker or Luthor because the Joker and Luthor are not asian. It's really simple. How does casting him how he looks in the comics restrict the final result? If anything, it enhances it, and what you're suggesting diminishes it. Find a guy who can act and looks the part. It's not hard. If the 3 white guys you brought in don't work, bring in 3 more white guys and shave their heads. Done.
I still don't think Lex's race is considered an iconic aspect of the character, especially considering TAS Luthor could very easily come off as somewhat racially ambiguous (and considering he could very well be the most iconic Lex as for as the GA goes). I don't think they should change race for the sake of changing race, but when I called it restricting I meant that it shouldn't prevent them from considering all their options. as for the blonde/black Superman debate, I could care less about blonde, if they managed to make it work visually I couldn't care less, if not, we have hair dye, as for black, lets just say the casting standard would raise to extraordinary levels (but hell, I can still see there being potential there), because Superman's appearance actually is iconic, the only truly iconic thing about Lex's appearance is that he's a rich bald dude. Being white isn't what makes Lex Lex. Being an ultra-rich brilliant egomaniacal businessman/scientist is what makes him who he is. As long as the actor manages to capture that then they can cast friggin Jackie Chan for all I care. (and no, that wasn't a casting suggestion)

KillerMcQueen is offline   Reply With Quote