View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013, 05:46 AM   #401
regwec
Shakespearo

Default Re: Your top 5 things that needs to be "fixed" for the Batman reboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Vader View Post
The second biggest thing I want is a heavy influence from the Arkham games. It's a perfect mix between staying faithful to the comics, but being a bit realistic at the same time.
I haven't played these videogames, so I must profess some ignorance of them. Having said that, it seems to me that what they offer up is tonally pretty similar to the comics, with some revision of certain character designs etc.

With this in mind, I don't really understand why it is so frequently recommended as an influence on the next movie. Surely the massive lexicon of stories in the comics- on which the videogames are based, anyway- are a better primary influence? Otherwise, what would result would really be an adaptation of a videogame. Videogame adaptations are, on the whole, pointless and superficial. I really don't think that would be an advisable or necessary route on which to take Batman, who has been an ongoing character with his own literature for almost 80 years.

Also, I don't buy the videogames as the optimum balance of realism and faithfulness to the comics. The changes they do make to the comics appear to be on the side of a much more sci-fi/fantasy tone: witness the venom-pumped ogre-Joker or a Bane who looks like Juggernaut at an S&M party.