View Single Post
Old 07-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #214
Jaxon
Side-Kick

Default Re: TMOS Review & Speculation Thread (Spoilers) - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPresident View Post
It wasn't though? I think it would be naive to say "Pa Kent told him not to use his powers purely because the world wasn't ready". I would assume the implication is that Clark and his wellbeing were so important to Pa Kent that he would rather Clark not save anyone and be spared the probable discrimination he would suffer if people discovered his gifts.

At no point did I think Pa Kent condoned the deaths of innocents, what he was saying was "If I was forced to choose between you saving them and being persecuted or them dying and you being safe, I'd rather you were safe".

That's what I got from it anyway, it might be a bit of an oversimplification to make it out like these things didn't affect Clark.
I think Jon Kent in his mind here was saying "perhaps this was their fate" as a sort of way of justifying the consistent message he had been given Clark. Costner delivered that in a such a way that he he knew he was saying the wrong thing and was almost recanting it as he says it. He was a terrific bit of acting from Costner.

Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote