View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #92
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Default Re: So let's talk about Mask of the Phantasm...

What an excellent movie this was. It is my personal favorite Batman film to date and I think it is very close to TDK objectively speaking. Yes, I really mean that.

I am going to make a statement that I think a lot of people will disagree with, including the people that love this film just as much as I do. I think that Andrea Beaumont is the best love interest Batman has ever had. I am including all the mediums Batman has been present in for the past 74 years when I say that. The reason why I believe this is because I always saw Andrea as Bruce's true love, something Bruce has never officially had.

Don't get me wrong, people. Batman has always had a lot of great love interests. Heck, I would argue the character has some of the best love interests in all of comics. However, he has never had a woman that I considered to be his Lois Lane, or a primary love interest in other words. Most other major superheroes have an iconic "it" girl. Superman has Lois Lane, Flash has Iris West, Green Lantern has Carrol Ferris, Spider-Man had Gwen Stacy prior to her death and Mary Jane after her death, and the list goes on. Sure that the primary love interest might not always be there. There might be times when someone like Peter Parker goes after Betty Brant or Black Cat but in the end, things always go back to him and MJ being together because it is who his true love is. Same thing goes for all the couples that I have listed.

On the other hand, I really felt that Andrea was always the DCAU's Batman's primary true love. Maybe this is due to her ties to his pre-Batman days or due to the wonderful chemistry they had. Maybe due to both or maybe due to an entirely different reason. However, that is always what I felt throughout the entire length of the DCAU. It may sound weird since her and Bruce are never together again after he becomes Batman (excluding the events in MOTP) but I think that is there to add to the Batman/Superman dynamic. I think it represents the fact that Batman is surrounded in tragedy while Superman is surrounded in optimism. This is why Clark is able to live his life with Lois throughout the DCAU while Bruce has to abandon his primary love in order to be Batman.

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote