View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #447
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
I honestly don't expect to see more from Malekith after TDW, but we'll see. Malekith seems like a very disposable villain. But I think he's going to set events in motion that will reverberate throughout the Nine Realms. Malekith serves a greater power (the dark and ancient evil they keep talking about in the official press releases for TDW), and *that* power is the one that's going to drive the story in TA2.

Thanos is still the odds-on favorite, I'm sure. But there could be powers even greater than him at work here. I'm thinking that we're on the verge of some sort of black magic (re)awakening, and it's possible that Joss intends Scarlet Witch to have something to do with that. (i.e., have her be an actual Scarlet Witch, and have her powers be explained as chaos magic instead of a mutant gene. Then she could have some kind of link/knowledge of the darker power Malekith serves. This could also feed into the Dr. Strange movie coming in Phase III.)
One thing to consider is that, if Avengers 2 is the Masters of Evil, it probably should have *some* kind of Thor villain on it. This means that, if not Malekith, seems likely that *someone* will appear in Thor 2 that could serve that role.