View Single Post
Old 07-14-2013, 02:10 AM   #501
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Batman TAS Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator Man View Post
I sort of agree with this but I don't think the show had any episodes darker than BR. If that was the case parents and soccer moms would've been whining about this show being too dark and mature for kids. As they did with BR. I think B:MOTP fits with what you're asking as well. It's very mature and dark for an animated movie. It was a lot more mature than people were (or in this case weren't) expecting. That's probably why it didn't do too good. Other than the poor advertising and release date. That's what I loved about B:TAS and MOTP both kids and adults can enjoy it.
What parents were complaining about was the violence in Batman Returns. Dark =/= Violent. There are many movies and TV shows with a dark tone and mature content that lack violence. The Nolan films are an example of this. There is no blood or gory scenes in the Nolan films. At the same time, there are many things that are violent but are not dark or mature at all. Happy Tree Friends is very violent and gory but it has a lighthearted tone and it's by no means dark or mature. That being said, I don't think Batman Returns is more dark or more mature than the '89 film. If anything, it is more lighthearted. It is definitely not darker or more mature than Batman TAS though, and especially not darker or more mature than MOTP.