View Single Post
Old 07-15-2013, 04:17 PM   #510
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Batman TAS Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
It's certainly campier than the first movie yet it's somehow darker lol. It's a weird contradiction. I think it's more gothic, feels more like a fairytale, it's colder not only because of the winter look but of how Bruce is written in comparison to the first or even the Shumacher's.

There's the sexual one-liners, more freakish things going on. But that gang that works for Penguin and the missiles strapped to his penguin friends are campier than anything the first movie supplied. Things like Penguin controlling the batmobile like an arcade game, that little dog, Max Shrek's son doing a Christopher Walken impression, Penguins giant duck-mobile or whatever it is, Batman taking off his mask and there's suddenly no eye shadow, Oswald running for Mayor like in the 60 tv series.

It's a mix of macabre and comedy.

MOTP is far more mature.
I didnít find anything campy about a circus gang that kidnapped and possibly murdered children in their past history. Iím lost on how the poodle comes off campy. B/c it caught Batmanís remote control batarang? Which was used later I the plot when the Penguin frames Batman for the Ice Princess kidnapping. I didnít find anything campy about Penguin controlling the batmobile to terrorize Gothamites and causing a lot of property damage while doing so. Again he was doing that ruin to Batmanís reputation as Gothamís hero. I recall the Penguin in BTAS controlling the batmobile as well. Does that automatically make that episode campy? What exactly is campy about the actor playing Chip doing a Walken impression? Afterall he was playing Walkenís son in the movie. I doesnít matter if you found it a terrible impression, but that doesnít make it campy. The duckmobile makes sense in the story b/c he mustíve gotten it from the zoo. You can see the ďgiantĒ rubber duckies hanging on top of the zoo of Penguinís lair. Plus Burtonís version of the penguin is sort of a manchild with his tantrums and such. So it makes sense to me why he would ride around in that. It didnít feel out of place in this movie. Of all the many complaints about the climax you complain about the eye shadow disappearing when Batman takes off his mask. Not the fact that he took his mask off in front of Shreck. And Bruce believing that Shreck wonĎt reveal his identity to the public if Bruce somehow prevented Selina from killing Shreck. Btw, whatís campy about the eye shadow disappearing? It was more of a goof than anything else. Yeah I know Penguin running for Mayor came from the 60s show, but to you it automatically means BR is campy b/c it had a similar plot?

I agree with you about MOTP.