View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #46
shauner111
Side-Kick

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

BtaLobster, great minds think alike! lol. Yeah I never wanted to see Batman on top of that bridge as the ending. That's the same as Batman 89 or Batman Begins even. That's no ending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlueWonder View Post
I would have liked an entery inbetween TDK and TDKR. For me Batman giving up the crowl for 8 years after only one year as batman is unrealistic. While I know this is Nolan's version I don't think the CB Batman would do that. I find TDK Returns superior to TDKR.
In between? Me too. But it's pretty simple. It's NOT the comic book Batman, so that's irrelevant. What's unrealistic is a batman that is active non-stop forever. Or for a decade straight. Even 5 years is a lot if you consider all the injuries he must have night in and night out. Boxer's don't last long and even they have 1 or 2 fights a year? A year or two, or even 3 of being Batman every night would equal like a decade. That was the point of Nolan's interpretation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Not an 8 year retirement the night after Dent died. I saw Batman doing what they bent over backwards to say, that he could be hunted, and take it. That he could endure. That he'd still be out there fighting crime while Dent's legacy built up momentum over months/years and not the very night after he popped his clogs.

How can Batman be enduring anything when he's not Batman any more?
Batman did endure. Just because you took it as he was physically going to endure it doesn't mean what happened is less truthful. He endured the heat, the blame, taking the fall. He sacrificed himself to be the villain. While Gotham rested easy for 8 years, Bruce couldn't move on, he was Batman inside himself without a way of letting out his anger. The point in these movies were that batman was actually a symbol and not a man. That was established in Begins. So the man doesn't have to be physically out there in order to endure. The symbol took the blame, the symbol endured. Because Batman is not a man, it's a concept, an ideal.

The problem lies with people thinking this is exactly like the comics or Batman is the man Bruce Wayne. So he should endure for longer, he shouldn't retire or pass the mantle to another man. But that's not what this trilogy is about. Begins spelled it out for us and they followed through in the ending. Batman is NOT a man, it's a symbol.

Last edited by shauner111; 07-16-2013 at 11:54 AM.