View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #71
shauner111
Side-Kick

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
I don't understand people with a "screw the comics" mentality. Most, if not every aspect of these films are, in some way or another, inspired by the comics. Saying "Screw the comics" is just a cheap argument designed to undermine comic fans, and it only justifies the hatred people have for Nolanites, as most people who use this argument are or come off as complete snobs/wanna be film critics. You'd think they'd be better off writing 50 page critical analysis' on Felini instead of...hanging out on a comic book film board...where most people watch these films...because they like the comics.

I wonder what would happen on a LOTR/Potter fansite if I walked in and said "Screw the books".
It's not about "screw the comics", it's just that for the most part theyre irrelevant when it comes to sticking to it. You don't need to because that's not the point of film. The target audience aren't the comic book readers.

I didn't grow up on comics, I grew up on film. I grew up on a few characters like Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, some members of the Justice League and even X-Men. But I didn't buy a comic until I hit my 20s. I didn't sign up on this forum because I love and adore the comics and want movies to honor everything that's in them. Im on the hype to talk about the films I enjoyed.

Ill take Felini or any other great director over 90 percent of comic book movies and the type of directors who handle them. I would certainly rather talk about them. But im talking about Nolan's trilogy because that's what is relevant. The comics are relevant sure, they take inspiration from them, but in the grand scheme of things it's just really not much. It's just about telling a good story for film. Putting out a good movie. Even if it goes against the comics half of the time.

And im no comic hater. I love plenty of Batman graphic novels. And Nolan and Goyer drew a lot from my favorite ones. But again, they've been twisted so much by them that the importance is just about telling a good story. Not necessarily honoring any single interpretation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
But dude, these movies aren't the comics, mannnnnn.
But it's the truth. These movies aren't made with fans in mind. They'll be there anyway. The rest of the world is what the studios and filmmakers have in mind.

Last edited by shauner111; 07-16-2013 at 02:33 PM.