View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013, 02:54 PM   #78
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I'm always quick to remind my friends when they're attached to a novel and aren't happy about changes made for the movie that film is entirely different medium and certain details that make a good book don't necessarily make for a good movie. For one, movies have to be much more ruthless about what gets included, as there isn't as much room for meandering subplots. And sure, I've told my friends that are hardcore Harry Potter fans that too. Some have conceded my points to varying degrees, while others argued. I suppose that because cinema is my favorite medium, I'm more sympathetic to the filmmakers who are given the task of turning the source material into a good film than I am the authors who are getting paid to sit it out and maybe give their input if they're powerful enough (like Rowling).

Watchmen is a perfect example of something that's faithful to a fault, and while I like the movie...I would not exactly call it a 'good film' in the sense that I consider other good films to be good.

I love the comics, I love BTAS, I love the Burton films, I love Batman in most incarnations to be honest, but to me Batman movies are something different and my expectations change as a result. In fact, I love it when the movies can introduce things into the mythology and surprise me (as all three films did).

That said, the comics clearly offered a plethora of inspiration for these films, as stated by the filmmakers themselves and as noted by most fans who've been paying attention. I think the films were sufficiently influenced by the comics, so this rant really has nothing to do with the trilogy. I just think it's always important to remember the difference between one medium and another.
See....now this is a good argument.

My problem with "This isn't the comics" folk is that, quite often, they blindly try to justify ANY change the filmmaker makes, as if the filmmaker can't do something that can't be interpreted as a mistake. They also try to use "This isn't the comics" to brush off any aspect of the comics that fans want to see onscreen....like for example, Batman having genius level intellect.

I think most fans get that films are different and changes will be made. I definitely know that everyone in this discussion is aware of that. But don't act like the comics matter less than they actually do, and don't write off fan ideas just because they're an aspect of the comics we haven't seen onfilm yet. That leads to people seeing the same thing all the time as well.