View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013, 06:24 PM   #94
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
You hit the nail spot on.

This is exactly how I feel. I often see people throwing the "This isn't the comics" excuse to justify anything the filmmakers do, even going as far as to brush off any aspects that fans speculate about seeing on screen in the future such as, as you said, Batman's genius level intellect.

I've actually even seen people throw around the "This isn't the comics!" argument when I didn't even reference the comics at all. You can bring up things you thought were plot holes and people will still throw around that argument. When Iron Man 3 came out, many fans felt they were falsely marketed to due to the Mandarin twist. Despite me stating over and over again that I just wanted to see the Mandarin from the trailers and that I was not expecting the Mandarin of the comics in the first place, people still tried to scold me that it wasn't the Mandarin of the comics.

In the case of TDKR, what these people often don't realize is that I find TDKR to be just as much of a bad sequel as I find it to be a bad Batman film for the exact same reasons. Whenever I watch The Dark Knight, I see the message of Bruce having to embrace being Batman forever right there. It is one of the things that I love so much about TDK. People often act/think that idea was not there in the first place and I always disagreed with them on that. Had Nolan not made the idea and message of his Batman in BB & TDK so much like the idea and messages behind the Batman of the comics, I probably would have not had as much of a problem with TDKR's ending as I did (though I still wouldn't be a big fan of it). The fact that he made such an incredible film with a message that I thought emphasized everything Batman was all about only to make a sequel contradicting all of that is the part that ticked me off the most. Thus even if I wasn't a comic book fan and these films were my first exposure to Batman, the ending wouldn't have been any better for me because it would have still went against the essence of Batman from the first two films, which happened to be the same as the essence of Batman from the comics. But of course that I'll still get the "This isn't the comics!" response regardless.
That's the thing though, Bruce has a very finite view of his Batman career in BB. He makes it clear that he wants to clean up the streets, create a symbol for others to follow, and be done with it. Now whether TDKR executed this idea well is another issue altogether, but it's not like the seed wasn't planted for him to quit in the first movie. It was there all along and fans chose to ignore it, then got mad about it when Nolan followed through with it.