View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #104
ThePhantasm
Skywalker

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfirebird2008 View Post
Phantasm argued in his post earlier that it was NOT okay to wrap up Batman's story and it seems Shika is very much against that idea as well. Perhaps you shouldn't speak for the others.
Not exactly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
Suddenly the universe wasnít open-ended. It was being driven to a conclusion. Keeping the universe closed off is not an idea that Iím necessarily opposed to. Unfortunately, it became the overwhelming function of the film to such an extent that the story was damaged.

I'm fine with "wrapping up Batman's story." The question is whether it gets wrapped up in a way consistent with the character or not. For example, in Batman Beyond its alright because Bruce is no longer physically able to be Batman, despite wanting to be Batman. It isn't a collapse of his character, just of his physical ability. It is still consistent with how he is portrayed in the Batman mythos.

Batman always fights with the hope that one day things might get better, but they never do, so his fight is a lifelong crusade. BB and TDK reference that hope without ever suggesting that the hope is realistic - only in TDKR does it actually happen in a badly executed fashion.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
H.E.