View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #122
shauner111
Side-Kick

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfirebird2008 View Post
The essence of the character seems like a very subjective thing. The character has been very flexible through the years. That's part of why it has endured so long. If it wasn't flexible, it would have died off a long time ago. As much as you might dislike Batman & Robin, we have a pretty big Batman fan on these forums who loves that film (Kane). I doubt he would say it betrays the essence of the character. There is room for different interpretations.
I think the major details don't matter. But there is only one essence in my opinion. But I enjoy Batman & Robin as a comedy/spoof. But it's still going against the essence, it's making fun of it. Whether that was intentional or not LOL. And I feel the exact same way about the 60s series. It doesn't mean you cant enjoy it, but it goes against the grain completely. It's like how people have the right to dislike Nolans trilogy, Burtons film too. But they shouldn't be saying things like it's not the essence of what Batman is, therefore it's rubbish. That's not true at all.

I nitpick the HELL out of Batman Returns and some of you guys nitpick the **** out TDKR. But I would be wrong if I said (and I may have in the past) that Returns is bad because it's not the essence of the character. Because, actually it still is. As a matter of fact I will say that even Batman Forever, especially when you include the deleted scenes, still honors the essence of Batman in many ways. Even if there's lighter moments.

Last edited by shauner111; 07-16-2013 at 06:47 PM.