View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #555
EssayM
Just A Guy

Default Re: Your top 5 things that needs to be "fixed" for the Batman reboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
Some of BTAS was "fun", but some of it was pretty dark, albeit within the constraints of a cartoon aimed at kids. Batman depends on a genuine sense of threat, I think. Some villains do okay without that, like The Riddler, but you need to know that The Joker might be about to bite someone's ear off, even when he is being witty and relatively charming. Added to that is that fact that, underneath it all, Bruce Wayne is deeply dysfunctional.

I agree that the next movie should be "fun" as opposed to "boring", but doubt it should be that kind of frothy, feel-good "fun" exhibited by certain other movie franchises that shall not be named.
I guess by "fun", I was referring to the more cartoony and surreal aspects of TAS. Let's face it, Bob Kane wrote humor and gag strips before he got famous, and a lot of the characters and concepts he created for the Batman universe reflect that. That's not to say all the murder and revenge and heartbreak should be ignored, or even that it shouldn't be taken seriously, but that the larger-than-life characters and designs are as much a part of the series' appeal as the dark stuff. The villains should be genuine threats, but they don't have to all be serial killers and terrorists; they can still have exaggerated looks and personalities like they do in the cartoons and comics.

Also, just as an aside, I don't know if I would call Bruce Wayne "dysfunctional". I mean, yeah, he has his childhood traumas and personal demons, but I've always seen Batman as something he does because he sees it as his purpose in life, as his way of making the world a slightly better place than it was yesterday. It's not some burden that he has to live with, it's who he is and what he chose to do with his life. That's one of the things I liked about BF, the idea that he became Batman "not because I have to be, but because I choose to be." I'm really tired of writers painting Batman's job as a "curse" that he's just waiting for the day to shuffle off. Bulls***! Why should he resent using his means and skills to help his fellow man? He chose to do it, and it's that choice that defines him. I just think he works a lot better as a flawed but virtuous character rather than the pathetic character some writers try to make him.

EssayM is offline   Reply With Quote