View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #632
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Default Re: LA Times is reporting that WB will announce World's Finest movie for 2015 - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Jack's... View Post
I would say more than a few. The script was a mess, and it completely fumbled Clark's character arc and journey over the course of the movie, which was the most important part IMO, and they failed. That's why I'm personally not excited for this new one, because of the immense letdown that MOS was. It's hard for me to get excited about any future DC movies now, because it seems like Goyer is going to be all over them, with possible input from Snyder on scripts/stories. This is the third year in a row of huge letdowns from WB/DC for me, so now I can't get excited for future stuff from them.
Other than pacing, the biggest problem I think it has is the lack of a second act. Starting with Zod's invasion, things just jump all over the place. We never get to see the world's full reaction to Superman (only the military's), the supporting cast do much (other than Lois), Clark gets over Zod's death pretty quick, etc. It also did a horrendous job with Clark's secret identity.

I think the story, pacing, and character development had some problems. However, I thought the acting, characterization of Superman + the rest of the characters, the themes + messages, and the action was fantastic. The three flaws I brought up were not too terrible for the first film IMO but there is no way that future films can have those problems and it looks like they will with not only Goyer being let loose by himself again but with Snyder joining in as a co-writer.

Also, future DC movies need a brighter color palette. The film looked way too dim/moody most of the time.

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote