View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013, 09:32 PM   #10
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
What was a huge complaint about Snyder's style post DAWN OF THE DEAD? It was the over use of slow mo and the artificial green screen environments in his follow up films. Was what he did with MOS with it's emphasis on speed, both in specific action sequences and the overall pace of the narrative a reaction on his part to all that criticism?
While the over use of slow motion is obnoxious (and mercifully absent from Man of Steel), Snyder's biggest problem as far as I'm concerned is that his decision making process for how he films his scenes and how he puts his movies together is based around what would be the most "cool" and "badass" instead of what would tell the best story. He films very pretty shots, but I don't get the feeling he speaks the language of cinema very well.

That being said the pace of Man of Steel was awful. They needed to take their time with the character building moments, but they breezed past them far too fast for anyone to get invested. And then they lingered on the action scenes to an almost fetishistic degree.

Quote:
Do you all think the vocal group a detractors will have an effect?
Probably not. I doubt Snyder and Goyer have the skill to pull off what the fans want properly.

Quote:
And will they even like it if they get what they want?
Probably. Contrary to internet belief it's actually very rare for people to hate on movies just because they want to hate on them. They usually have actual reasons for not liking something.

Quote:
Will the GA want what the genre fans are asking for?
The thing about the general audience is that while they like, or at least tolerate, completely ****ing terrible movies, they also actually like good movies too. They just don't know that it's something they're missing.