View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #635
I Am Jack's...
Complete Lack Of Surprise

Default Re: LA Times is reporting that WB will announce World's Finest movie for 2015 - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Other than pacing, the biggest problem I think it has is the lack of a second act. Starting with Zod's invasion, things just jump all over the place. We never get to see the world's full reaction to Superman (only the military's), the supporting cast do much (other than Lois), Clark gets over Zod's death pretty quick, etc. It also did a horrendous job with Clark's secret identity.

I think the story, pacing, and character development had some problems. However, I thought the acting, characterization of Superman + the rest of the characters, the themes + messages, and the action was fantastic. The three flaws I brought up were not too terrible for the first film IMO but there is no way that future films can have those problems and it looks like they will with not only Goyer being let loose by himself again but with Snyder joining in as a co-writer.

Also, future DC movies need a brighter color palette. The film looked way too dim/moody most of the time.
I thought that as soon as the movie shifted to Earth the story was all over the place. The flashbacks start and they're not integrated well and just disrupt the flow of the movie, while not really doing much for the character's development. The problems you listed I agree with also.

However, I disagree that the themes/messages were handled well. I can respect the fact that the movie is attempting to deal with ambitious ideas, but that is also the problem. It tries to delve into too many different things, like our response to the existence of alien life, Clark's choice to become Superman, what it means to be Superman, how he deals with his own kind, etc. It tries to do all of these things at once, and, as a result, they all suffer from lack of development, and Clark's character arc especially suffers because of it, which is a shame. You'll get no argument from me about the action, and I thought the acting was at least fine from everyone, but all of that only satisfied me for a couple hours after I first saw the movie. Once the awe-factor wore off, I noticed the critical issues with the movie and that really killed it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szetsilya View Post
I think Supes had better character development than Thor in his movie, but not as good as Tony in Ironman, that just might be did to the fact that it was Robert playing him.
Agreed. Iron Man is one of the best origin movies because Tony's character arc is very well handled and realized. I think it's more than just RDJ, though he does certainly help. Tony just has a very clear journey over the course of the movie and it's clearly the main focus, whereas in MOS Clark's journey is one of many aspects of the story and it suffers as a result.

"I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may." - Tyler Durden
I Am Jack's... is offline   Reply With Quote