Thread: Hank Pym?
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2013, 07:39 AM   #53
TheLastAvenger
Side-Kick

Default Re: Hank Pym?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Hank Pym has been in every iteration of the Avengers from the very beginning, including Ultimates, including Mighty, including Initiative, including West Coast. He is an integral part of the team, and omnipresent in Avengers comics.

How is that an unreasonable comparison, in your opinion? Keeping in mind that my statement isn't about powersets, or popularity, or rank. Just about importance to the actual team and actual comic title.
So?

I don't mean to be dismissive, but you do realize that the excitement involvng the Avengers films has never been its comic book origins, right? It was just the best excuse to get the biggest superheroes Marvel still had the rights to on the screen together. S.H.I.E.L.D., Black Widow, Hawkeye...their only narrative purpose was to help facilitate these four entities interacting with one another. The fact that they existed within the Avengers comic book narrative was almost...beside the point, really.

I say this because I have to wonder if fans have really deluded themselves into thinking that Hank Pym was ever going to be a primary member of the team. Let's say an Ant-Man movie never existed. Let's say Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne were present from the first film onward, and perhaps even fought alongside the other Avengers. Do you really think they would have been fleshed out...like, at all? Of course not! They would have existed functioning in the same way Black Widow and Hawkeye did...as satellites orbiting the Big 4. Their story would be marginalized and brushed aside as soon as the big guns appeared together on screen.

That's just the way it is. The Avengers movie franchise exists for a very different reason than the comic books existed. The only thing I really fault Whedon with is using Ultron at all. Fans are going to expect certain things, and without Hank Pym, he becomes Ultron in name only.

But I totally get it. Whedon is a creator first, and a geek second. His geek side wants to see Ultron in his Avengers movie, but his creator side doesn't want to be beholden to the comics. "Ya, well, I can't make an Ultron character that meshes with the comic books? Then I'll make my own Ultron character, with blackjack and hookers!"

Personally, I trust Whedon to at least make Ultron compelling, with or without Hank Pym. Maybe that's not enough for some people. So be it.

TheLastAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote