Thread: Hank Pym?
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #118
Ant-manic
Side-Kick

Default Re: Hank Pym?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blalex620 View Post
Like Sam was saying, Hank Pym and Janet's whole careers revolve around the Avengers. And if you've read the comics in almost every single iteration Hank and Janet are integral parts of the team.

To basically take Hank Pym and turn him into some old hero from the 60's is just not justice in my book. Hell I wouldn't even mind Wright making Scott Lang the Ant-Man of the MCU as long as he also made Hank Pym Giant-Man of the MCU. And taking away creating Ultron would be like taking away the death of Uncle Ben from Spider-Man. You can not care about Hank Pym all you want but creating Ultron and the subsequent consequences of that are what drive Hank and what makes Hank the hero he is.

And if we get an old 60's only era Hank Pym then that means we'll not get Janet or worse, a Janet that has little connection to Hank and I for one wouldn't want to see these two characters changed so drastically.

I won't judge Avengers AoU until I know more about it and can see it and Ant-Man with my own eyes. It's possible that Whedon and Wright have something planned that'll do justice to all the characters (and God help us I hope they do). But as of now, Whedon and Wright are treading thin territory with me (and this does not negate anything Whedon's done before this).
it should be noted that none of us know what we are getting; only that Hank won't be in Avengers 2. not one word has been spoken about Janet. and Wright has not confirmed that Hank Pym will be old. his story works just as easily with an active Pym who, for whatever reason, has put his costume aside. and nothing i've read prevents Janet from being in the movie. both characters, theoretically, could be available for future installments of Avengers.

and i totally disagree that Ultron is what gives them purpose. Ultron means absolutely nothing to Janet Van Dyne's character arc. she played no role in its creation. and Ultron, in a lot of ways, is what has kept Pym from growing as a character. he, right out the gate, eclipsed Pym. Ultron, up until the end of Age of Ultron, was more important than its creator. he was the big bad in one of those cosmic crossovers.

Pym and Wasp's strength was in being a couple of under the radar crimefighters detectives; emphasis on couple. their adventures were lighthearted and custom made for an earlier era of Marvel comics. becoming Avengers is when things started to go to hell for the characters.

Ant-manic is online now   Reply With Quote