View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 12:28 AM   #108
teagone
Countryside General

Default Re: Do you think Batman will hamper MOS2?

I had the same mixed mindset as most people initially, but the more I think about it, the more I like this approach that DC is going for. It's a distinct take on the idea of a shared cinematic universe compared to Marvel's assembly line movie style, i.e., one major character film after the other, with a post-credit stinger that advertises another major character/film or sequel that builds up to a larger tent-pole film.

Snyder has said this long overdue crossover is effectively the sequel to Man of Steel; from what it sounds like, Batman was just woven into the narrative, and that idea is starting to grow on me. I personally see no issue with bringing Batman on board the MoS follow up. Especially if Batman is written well and integrated in the story that follows Man of Steel in an interesting way. Plenty of potential.

Plus, DC's basically killing two birds with one stone here. If there's one thing about Batman on film, it's that we really don't need to see his origin story again. We get it, yeah? By writing Batman into the storyline that continues where Man of Steel left off, DC is getting their Superman sequel AND bringing in the the post-Nolan take on Batman (which I've always thought would be a feat), all the while establishing their shared cinematic universe. I guess that's more like three birds, but either way, I kind of like that approach better. It makes the world seem bigger since DC has basically established that major characters can show up in another character's film right from the get-go. No need to wait for a stringer after the credits, or another film. I'm glad they're not aping Marvel's style in this regard.

teagone is offline   Reply With Quote