View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 08:56 AM   #87
Skrilla31
Side-Kick

Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
All I was saying was I've read or heard from Jett of BOF and Sean Gerber of MMM that WBs were hoping for abit closer to a billion (like 800-850 mill). But that was just unrealstic in my eyes especially as it wasn't released in the greatest of slots and its a reboot after a not well receieved previous film.
I honestly can't remember the last time a tentpole movie like that had as much positive buzz surrounding it though. If you were to transport yourself back in time right around after that third trailer dropped, the idea that this thing could have grossed close to a billion didn't seem out of the question. I think at the very least WB was hoping this thing would be their next huge franchise in the wake of Harry Potter and Batman.

Yes it was the second highest gross of the year but I do believe it should have grossed a lot more. The marketing was there, the buzz was there... and judging on how this thing opened clearly the INTEREST was there.

Something obviously went wrong and WB is well aware of that. Although it's what I would have preferred, I'm just not sure how well a standalone sequel would have performed. I don't think the general public was necessarily clamoring for one.