View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013, 09:20 PM   #478
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Default Re: "Are These All The Reviews You Brought?" -The Official Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Wolverine View Post
I often find myself editing films as I watch them at the theatre. I often catch myself saying things like "terrible choice editing", "why", "needed more", needed less" etc.

This movie I actually watched it saying "perfect choices", "perfect editing", "great use of the camera" etc.

Nothing to me was over the top or jarring.

Just loved it.
You'd appreciate this quote from Mangold then:

"[The train sequence] is made up of hundreds of pieces. There's a lot of pieces in that sequence and it requires two types of planning. One of the things that could happen when planning an action sequence for a film, especially when you have resources, is that you can do anything. And the trick when you can do anything is that there's a huge temptation for the filmmaker to start flying the camera through the window of the train and up through the accordion and out the window and up the drainpipe.. and my kind of overriding goal with the actors and the camera and how I was directing the film is to try to make the film feel more real and therefore don't make shots you couldn't make. Don't make shots that [just because] the technology now allows you to. Because you can literally do anything. It almost puts the filmmaker in an odd position because suddenly you can create any frame of any shot. It's almost too many choices. Why does the chase scene in The French Connection with Popeye Doyle in Queens look so good? Because it was a handheld camera running down under the overpass and it was real... I'm in the habit of saying no. Meaning, I'm in the habit of saying give me shot as if I were doing it all absolutely 100% real."

The guy just understands pulpy action, and how to make it viscerally dynamic.

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Poni_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote