View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 11:42 AM   #982
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
People keep bringing up RT as a strike aganst the film and I'm pointing out that there is more to it, you can't have both ways. If the GA score was poor, then I bet that you would be bringing it up.
I mean, I might. But my opinion or Rotten Tomatoes itself is that it's a fairly flawed polling model that doesn't go in depth and doesn't account for a lot of variables, so what it's data means isn't super clear. If a well marketed film that we know for a fact a lot of people saw has an especially high or an especially low RT rating and the sample of people who gave it an RT rating is very high (like over 400), then that would probably at least indicate the general opinion people had about a film, but even then it would still be inaccurate. And even then the question asked by Rotten Tomatoes is a very simple 1-5 rating, that doesn't give you a very nuanced or in depth idea of what people thought, especially since not everyone will give the same star rating for a film even if they feel the same way about it just because in the different ways people articulate their opinions. And if it's a pre-existing fan property with a fan base then that could throw off the numbers even more because, like I said, we have no way of accounting for which people who rated it on RT had prior biases and which went into the film without any.

Quote:
Also, we have no evidence that only hadcore fanboys log on, you have ZERO proof of that.
No, you see, my point is that Rotten Tomatoes' system has no way of accounting for that. That's the kind of thing that would heavily skew the numbers away from what the larger population's opinion is, and Rotten Tomatoes has no way of accounting for that kind of thing. We don't know how many of the people who rated the film on RT were people who came into the movie fresh without any particular attachment to the property and how many were already fans with preconceived notions and biases. So, since we can't account for that, we don't have a super clear picture of general opinion.

Quote:
Shouldn't hardcore fanboys LOWER the GA score if thet allegedly hated the movie?
... no?

That's a very odd and, in terms of a debate, entirely useless claim that I never made.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by The Question; 07-25-2013 at 11:48 AM.