Old 07-25-2013, 01:19 PM   #756
shauner111
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeiffer-Pfan View Post
Don't be ridiculous...

It's a BATMAN movie.

It may not be one you like or agree with but it is a Batman movie.

WB had Burton money and said make another BATMAN movie. His creative choices are perfectly valid. As valid as anything Dozier, Schumacher, Timm/Dini and Nolan crafted.
I disagree. Just because Batman is in the title, means nothing. I DO like things about this movie. This may have been my favorite one as a child. That's why I can look at it with clear vision. It's just not a Batman movie, or at least not a good one (even if it's a good Tim Burton movie).

I tend to agree with many things Jett says about this movie, minus all the crazy hate that he has. When he says there's nothing that makes you feel like Batman is heroic. There's no great Batman moments for me. I don't cheer him, don't feel he's heroic, only feel like he's a small feature. Penguin and Catwoman have entertaining bits but theyre mutated monster versions of their true characters. Gordon is non existent. It feels like Burton took 5 characters from the mythology and said "I don't want to make a Batman movie or a sequel to 89. I want my universe. A parallel version of Gotham City that feels like a town of goth instead of a massive city. Yes. Nightmare Before Christmas with a few characters changed to fit my vision".

Like I said, it's good for what it is. But I will never see it as a Batman story. It actually feels like a dream/hallucination from the mind of Batman 89's Bruce Wayne.

Im glad Burton made it. It's bold. It led to Shumacher which led to Nolan which leads us to where we are now. But you're supposed to feel good and inspired by Batman with some tragedy thrown in. I never felt like I was on Keaton's side like I am in the first movie. Nor did I feel any character moments enough to feel anything tragic for the Wayne character.

Last edited by shauner111; 07-25-2013 at 01:23 PM.