View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #761
shauner111
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeiffer-Pfan View Post
It's not about a the name in the title... it's about a director doing something different with a 50 year old character. If people can accept something as mythology bending as the ending of The Dark Knight Rises, they should be capable of accepting Returns.

I never felt like cheering for Batman in The Dark Knight Returns... but Miller's mutated version of this character is no less valid in my eyes.

Everyone is entitled to not like it, but people like Jett (hate that guy!!) are wrong to dismiss it.

Whether people like it or not it is part of Batman's 75 year history.

Tell me you don't like it, fine... but don't tell me it's not a valid Batman movie.
It's valid as an interpretation. I respect Burton for doing it. I still dig a lot of things in it. But nobody will change my mind. I don't think it's a Batman movie or story. I don't feel like these are Batman characters at all. I feel like theyre all mutations. Batman is tragedy, darkness, heroism, inspiration, etc. It's a mix of all of those things. I even felt that more with Kilmer's Batman than here. All I felt in Returns was a dark Batman with all kinds of silliness and macabre around him. It felt more like a vampire version of Punisher than batman.

And ive always had a beef with the Penguin and Catwoman interpretations. Visually I loved them as a kid, as I grew up, I don't feel anything but them being campy-weirdo-monster versions. I facepalm just as much with Penguin as I do Freeze in B&R. They changed them just as much as Shumacher changed Two-Face and Bane into things they weren't. "Ill show her my flipper trick!" is just as retarded as "Da Ice age!!" or any of Freeze's hilarious puns. It's all camp. But I don't feel good about it like kids did with Forever or 89 or Adam West's version. I don't cheer Batman when he smiles at a dude and blows him up with dynamite.

There are times when im cheering Frank Miller's Batman, wanting him to survive, wanting to get at the Joker for hurting innocent people. That's the difference.

Batman is a dark hero. And for me personally Batman should always be gritty. It's something Batman (89) and TDK-T have in common that the 90s sequels don't. Whether that means fantasy/sci-fi or realism, it should be gritty IMO. Returns was just a fairytale of fantasy mixing Halloween and Christmas together and promoting it as a Batman movie.

Last edited by shauner111; 07-25-2013 at 02:48 PM.